Narrator: Johnny Heller
Published by Self Published on 11 June 2015
Length: 2 hours 33 minutes
Source: Author, Submitted
A frank and hilarious guide to every man's mind-numbing nemesis: Shopping.
Guys, spent one too many Saturdays marooned at the mall? Rejuvenate your manhood with the Shopping Survival Guide for Men. This indispensable sanity-saver exposes the hidden history and insidious psychology of shopping. Hint: it's crazy. Plus, this book cool-headedly guides you through the treacherous, credit card-melting mazes of:
- Shoes: "If you've ever been in the shoe section of any major department store, you now know what the gross national product of Belgium would look like if it consisted of footwear, which, for all I know about Belgium, it does."
- Makeup: "Egyptians used cochineal bugs to make red dye for their lips, and I don't even care what 'cochineal' means because the word 'bugs' is after it."
- Prom Dress Shopping: "Like most men, all you know about prom dresses is that they are more expensive than a good set of tires."
- Fashion Terminology: "Puckered Bodice: A banned professional wrestling move involving a lemon, a folding chair, and a car battery."
- Shopping History: "1687: Isaac Newton develops the law of universal gravity after his wife's shoe rack collapses on him."
Don't get dragged to the mall without it!
©2015 Dan Van Oss (P)2015 Dan Van Oss
ABR received this audiobook for free from the Author, Submitted in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect our opinion of the audiobook or the content of our review.Buy from Audible Buy from Amazon.comAdd to Goodreads
Shopping Survival Guide is a humor book written for men who are dating or married to the girl who loves to shop. Luckily I am not one of these guys, but I was at one point. It is full of funny tidbits on how to get through and the “history” of shopping.
The narration was done very well by Johnny Heller. He uses his tone to conjure up the humor that is written, and allows the reader to feel like he is getting his money worth while listening to this. The book is short, but there were no issues in production quality at all.
This is one of those books you could listen to while you and your shopaholic other half were out… shopping of course. It’s a quick 2.5-hour audiobook that doesn’t leave much to the imagination.
Starting off the author explains his reasoning behind writing this book, and explains the way it’s going to go. It’s a pretty simple and easy to follow book. But, I’m glad that I got the audiobook, humor books always have a little more to them when they are read. Normally I’m listening to a memoir by a comedian read by the comedian, but this was similar enough that I enjoyed it.
This book will not be for everyone, it’s funny, short and to the point. The stories and tales from within conjure up a good chuckle of days past when I was dating a girl who just loved to shop. She would spend a hobo’s money if she could (I don’t miss her at all, can you tell).
Needless to say, Van Oss’s writing style reminds me of a Dave Berry and a little bit of Ray Romano. It was a quick painless read that helped me get through this week. Now… off to go shopping! Just kidding.
Did you find this review helpful?
If you did please follow this link to Audible and click the yes button on the “was this review helpful”.
- Firewalk by Chris Roberson - December 29, 2016
- Long Road to Survival (The Prepper Series Book 1) by Lee Bradford and William H. Weber - December 28, 2016
- Symbiosis (Impact Earth Book 1) by Timothy W. Long - October 19, 2016
- Oathkeeper by Troy Grice - October 7, 2016
- Girl Soldier by T.R. Horne - September 29, 2016