Everyone in the audiobook industry knows about, or at least is familiar with, the Audio Publisher Association’s annual award called the Audies. I am a huge proponent of the award and the clout that comes with it. However, I have noticed and realized that it is very difficult for independently published and those published by the small publishing houses to get the recognition that they deserve. As some of the best audiobooks I have listened to have been from this group.
This is how these awards came to be. I wanted to do my part to get the Indies the recognition that they deserve.
ELIGIBILITY AND RULES
- All entries into the 2018 ABR Audiobook Listener Awards competition must carry a release date between November 1, 2016 and October 31, 2017. “Release date” is defined as the date the title was first made available for sale to the public in the United States. Titles reissued in a new format are not eligible unless the “first release date” is within the qualifying period. Collections of previously released materials are eligible if the “first release date” of the new collection is within the qualifying period. Submitters may be asked to submit documentation supporting the release dates of the titles they nominate. The date the product was released for sale must be submitted on the online form.
- Submission deadline is December 1st, 2017.
- Entries must be submitted by the rights-holder, whether that be the author/publisher, a licensee/distributor, or the producer. For royalty share titles the narrator is considered a rights holder. The same title may not be submitted by more than one submitter. But can be submitted to multiple categories.
- Audiobooks must be self-published or published by Independent publishers. If you are unsure if you are considered independent, please ask.
- Entries will be screened by a committee for eligibility, including release date and completeness of the online form. It is the responsibility of the submitter to determine and select the appropriate category. However, the committee reserves the right to move the entries to appropriate categories or dismiss inappropriate submissions. In the event a submission is disqualified the entry fee will be returned to the submitter.
- The selection committee will use the following to make their choices
- Cover artwork design/readability
- Audio sample
- Publishers summary
- The selection committee’s and judges’ decisions are final.
- Up to five finalists – except in a case of a tie – will be selected for each category from all entry submissions and announced in February 2018.
- At least six entries must be submitted in a category or the category may be canceled or combined. If a category is canceled, entry fees will be refunded, or entries will be reassigned to other categories with permission of the submitter.
- Winners will be selected by popular vote of listeners on social media and website visitors.
- AUDIO DRAMA/MULTI VOICED
- GENERAL HORROR
- EXTREME HORROR/SPLATTERPUNK
- LITERARY FICTION
- SCIENCE FICTION
- SHORT STORIES/COLLECTIONS
- YOUNG ADULT
- ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE
Prizes (more could be added):
The overall winner in each category will get:
- Have their covers placed in the sidebar of ABR for one year.
- You will also get a fun badge to place on your website/audiobook cover artwork.
- Several social media call outs.
Current list of ineligible publishers (subject to change without notice)
- Audible Studios
- Blackstone Audio
- Brilliance Audio
- Hachette Audio
- Highbridge Audio
- Listening Library
- Macmillan Audio
- Penguin Random House Audio
- Podium Publishing
- Recorded Books
- Scholastic Audio
- Simon & Schuster Audio
- Tantor Media
- Or any subsidiary or division thereof
Selection Committee / Judges
- Paul Stokes (will only break ties, and serve as contest admin)
- Charla White
- Susan Voss
- Brian Krespan
- Natalie Cleary
- Toad Oliver
- Felicia Sparks (The Geeky Blogger)
- Jennifer (The Book Nympho)
If you want to enter 10 or more audiobooks/categories please contact me so you can simply use an excel file. And a single payment.